China has recorded yet another high death toll of 242 and 14,840 confirmed infected in a single day.
The victim died on Thursday at a treatment centre.
The newly recorded deaths raised the number to 1,355 with 60,000 people confirmed infected.
Authorities said the revised numbers arose as they changed their counting methods.
But the change only fuelled concern that the epidemic is far worse than being reported.
Meanwhile, two top-ranking politicians overseeing the epicentre of the outbreak were also sacked, adding to questions over China’s handling of the crisis just hours after President Xi Jinping claimed “positive results” in battling the outbreak.
Few days earlier, Hubei’s two top health officials were also sacked.
The World Health Organisation also quickly countered Chinese reassurances that the epidemic, which has now officially killed more than 1,350 people in China, would peak in a matter of weeks.
“I think it’s way too early to try to predict the beginning, the middle or the end of this epidemic right now,” said Michael Ryan, head of WHO’s health emergencies programme.
The virus has had massive ramifications globally since emerging from the central Chinese province of Hubei last month, with many countries banning travellers from China in a bid to stop people spreading the disease.
Hubei authorities said the huge increases were because they had broadened their definition for cases to include people “clinically diagnosed” via lung imaging.
Until now, authorities had been documenting cases using a more sophisticated laboratory test.
SOURCE :sahara reporters (news)