Nipperess walks out of hospital


Sky Racing update 13/4/17

All the latest from Sky Racing.

SUNDAY TELEGRAPH — NO USE BEFORE CHECKING WITH JEFF DARMANIN — Horse lover and ex jockey Kate Nipperess pictured recovering at Mt Wilga Private Hospital in Hornsby after breaking her neck, back and ribs in a horrific early morning track fall last year. Kate pictured in her room during a break from physio with a picture of her first ever win as a jockey.

KATE Nipperess made good on her vow to walk out of hospital on Thursday — nearly 10 months after she suffered spinal injuries in a trackwork fall at Warwick Farm.

After a week of tragedy on NSW racetracks, Nipperess provided some good news as she left hospital with only a walking frame for assistance.


It is a remarkable recovery after doctors had told her she would never walk again.

Nipperess was injured when a runaway horse crashed head-on into her mount during trackwork at Warwick Farm on July 28 last year.

Meanwhile, the racing fraternity continues to rally around the family of jockey Darren Jones, tragically killed in a three-horse fall at Warialda in northern NSW last weekend.

The fall also resulted in 22-year-old Tamworth-based apprentice Melanie Bolwell suffering head injuries and being flown from Warialda Hospital to the Gold Coast Hospital where she is heavily sedated in ICU with her family holding a bedside vigil.

The same day, former jockeys Ben Saunders and Wade Clasohm were injured in a trackwork incident at Toowoomba and are currently in Brisbane hospital with severe spinal injuries.

Jones was a highly regarded and respected member of the racing community, serving on the NSW Jockeys Association committee for 20 years.

“He was more like a friend to me. He did a lot for the apprentices and all the jockeys in the Hunter & North West region of NSW in trying to improve safety standards and he was a great committeeman and a great fellow” said Tony Crisafi, vice president of the NSW Jockeys Association. “It just highlights the dangers of the job.”

Australian Jockeys Association chairman Des O’Keeffe highlighted the imperative nature of support for the injured riders, their families and the riding community during such tragic events.

“It is important to note that the Australian Jockeys Association and National Jockeys Trust were there to provide immediate support to the injured jockeys, their families and the riders, following the introduction of our Critical Incident Response protocols” O’Keeffe said.

The funeral service for Jones will be held at Tamworth next Thursday, commencing at 1pm. He is survived by his wife, Sheridan, and sons Jacob and William.